20.12.05

Heaven


I just finished watching Barbara Walter's special about Heaven.

It would appear that there are those who have significant and specific beliefs about spiritual matters, and those that don't as much. Where do these beliefs come from? Most people receive their (initial) beliefs from their parents; in some cases today, these beliefs are evidenced by their lack. This suggests my first question: "If I was born to people with different beliefs than my parents, would I believe differently?" I think so. This leads to my second question: "Are some beliefs better than others?" Again, I think so.

It seems to me that some beliefs work better. They encourage and promote health and happiness for the individual believer, was well as others (whether they believe similarly or not). Other beliefs don't do this as well, and some can be considered positively detrimental to both the believer and to others.

I like the idea of some type of life after death. There are some forms and aspects of this belief that appear to promote present good lives, ones that are good for both the believer and others. But I am not convinced to the point of denying the possibility of any other contridictory beliefs.

What do you believe? How do you feel about others that believe differently than you?

3 Comments:

At 21/12/05 22:00, Blogger Livi of the Mountain said...

I think we see eye to eye on this, as much as I'd like to beleive it all, there's no proof of a here after and deep down inside I feel that just as we make up stories about Santa and the Easter bunny for kids, we make up stories of what we hope for such as everlasting life...who wouldn't want that?

I think these stories start up when children ask about death. Imagine 60,000,000 years ago in a cave and Thag, Uga and their son Zog are having a discussion about death and Zog get's scared so to calm him, Mom and Dad tell him we don't really die, we go to heaven or are reincarnated or whatever they think will sooth him and the story gets repeated and embellished over time till it becomes legend and then truth.

or something like that..

 
At 22/12/05 11:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, but where'd the picture come from?

 
At 22/12/05 11:28, Blogger sevej said...

Searched for "Heaven" on Google Images, and posted the original link. There were tons of pics, but this one grabbed me as most like the average person's archetype of a heaveny image.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home